We are Hiring! OBESSU is looking for a Membership and Capacity Building officer
OBESSU Membership and Capacity Building officer
Application submission deadline:
23rd December 2018, 23:59 CET
OBESSU is looking for a Membership and Capacity Building Officer who will be managing the OBESSU Programme Stronger School Student Unions supported by the Open Society Foundations, under the supervision of the OBESSU Secretary General, in direct cooperation with designated Board Members and in cooperation with other members of the OBESSUSecretariat.
More about the Programme
The Stronger School Student Unions programme is a tailored-maid programme to foster the capacity of OBESSUs Member Organisations in different fields. With this programme we want to strengthen our member organisations and help them in their development by providing them with the tailor-made support they need. We also want to create the grounds for a better cooperation, mutual support, peer learning and knowledge management in school student organisations.
The activities of the programme run towards the achievement of the following objectives:
· To identify main needs and challenges in student organising, as a basis for tailor-made practices
· To establish a capacity building programme including activities and resources online and offline, involving International peer-learning activities on student democracy
· To set up knowledge management structures for sustainable capacity building and sustainability in local, national and international school student organisations
· To develop a scheme of support to initiatives and interventions in the area of the project
Through the different tailor-made actions of the programme we aim at fostering the sustainability of school student organisations (with particular focus to the CEE SEE region) through mutual learning and inspiration, as well as at creating links and contacts with alumni who can produce a change in the unions and develop ideas for further school student organisations development and cooperation strengthening.
The programme will investigate 5 main challenges common in school student organisations:
1. Knowledge and turnover management
2. Sustainable finances and human resource management
3. Political impact and outreach
4. Representation: structure and constituency
5. Democratic decision making and inclusion
Activities will range from the creation of a stronger Alumni Network to Peer Learning Activities (regional and interregional), webinars, country reports and field travels and will end with a small re-granting for support to innovative interventions and structural financial support.
The tasks of Membership and Capacity Building officer will include:
o Managing the programme in terms and delivering the activities as described in the project GANTT:
§ Capacity Building
· Organise the regional Peer Learning Activity (2019 CEE SEE Region)
· Organise the Interregional Peer Learning Activity (January 2020 tbc)
· Organise and disseminate a set of webinars connected to 5 areas of the project
· Travelling to run the Field Visits in different OBESSU Member, Candidate and Affiliate Organisations
· Coordinating the Pool of Trainers of OBESSU from the perspective of the Secretariat
§ Knowledge Management
· Support the creation of the Alumni Network of OBESSU
· Coordinate the Country-report action of the programme together with OBESSU Member, Candidate and Affiliate Organisations and Alumni
§ Community Support Regranting
· Managing the call, the selection and awardprocess
· Monitoring the implementation of awarded initiatives (including possible monitoring field visits)
· Communicatingwithapplicants,supportingthemininitiativesimplementation and reporting
o Communicating with the funding agency of the Programme, and other relevant stakeholders
o Overall monitoring and reporting of theProgramme (internally and to the funder)
· Network Management
o Coordinate the Membership Space on the OBESSU Basecamp
o Be in charge of communicating to Members and gathering their requests
o Coordinating the organisation, reporting and follow up of Statutory Meetings of OBESSU (Council of Members 1 a year General Assembly 1 a year)
o Supporting the Secretariat with internal and external communication for OBESSU related to theProgramme
o The Secretariat of OBESSU is small, the workload can be high at certain times and unexpected tasks often appear. All Secretariat members are expected to help each other with ad hoctasks.
The ideal profile of the candidate is described at the bottom of the this document.
Time investment: Full time position (37.5h / week). Occasionally work during weekends whenever necessary, with time off in lieu as compensation. The position requires travels in Europe several times during theyear.
Type of contract and conditions:
- Fixed term contract, ending March 2020 (project duration), under Belgian law, with a salary scalable of other OBESSU employees. Additionally:
- 6,00€ per working day in lunch vouchers
- monthly ticket for public transportation within Brussels
- a holiday payment and a 13th salary each year
- travel costs covered when travelling for OBESSU
Application procedure and agenda
§ Send your curriculum vitae together with the completed application form to: email@example.com. Only official application forms will be taken into consideration. You can find it at: https://bit.ly/2Pp61Ek . Please do only send the form and no motivationletter.
§ The OBESSU Secretariat must receive all applications by the end of 23rd December 2018 (CET)
§ By 28th December, shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to second round.
§ The second round will consist of a set of online tasks to be completed in determined time, on 3-4 January 2018.
§ By 8th January, final set of candidates will be invited for an interviewin Brussels. Skype interviews will also be taken into consideration.
§ This shall take place on the 10th and 11th of January.
§ PleasenotethatOBESSUwillnotbeabletomeetthetravelcostsincurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
§ AllapplicantsshouldhavetherighttoliveandworkinBelgium.OBESSU regrets, but we do not sponsor work permits.
The selected person would ideally start working in the Secretariat of OBESSU on the 1st February 2019
OBESSU is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusion and diversity.
Profile of applicants for Membership and Capacity Building Officer at OBESSU
- Preferably younger than 30 years old.
- Finished secondary education or vocational training.
- Higher education in a relevant field (i.e. social studies, political science, sociology, youth work) is an asset.
- English: fluent, very good comprehension, excellent writingand oralcommunication.
- Experience of working withinEnglish
- Active or passive knowledgeof otherlanguages (particularly CEE SEE area languages)
- Experience of working directlywith young people.
- Experience working with Membership Based organisations
- Experience of programmes /project management.
- Experience of managingadministrative work, including budgetary aspects of a complexprogramme.
- Background in a youth orstudent
- Background in Capacity Building and network coordination
- Experience in workingwith internal and external communication.
- Experience of workingat internationallevel.
- Experience in mentoring individuals and / ororganisations.
- Experience in working with re- granting / seed fundingschemes, or within a framework of private funding forcivil society.
- Experience of Online Meetings and Webinars organising
- Understanding of situation ofstudent organizing in Europe and their challenges
- Solid project life cycleunderstanding.
- Knowledge of school student organisations.
- Understanding of Peer Learning
Skills and attitudes
- Works proficiently with Office software.
- Works with online project management tools
- Is able to use webinar tools
- Is a quick learner
- Works well independently and ina
- Able to take initiative andfind creativesolutions.
- Able to work on several differenttasks at the same time andprioritize.
- Able to manage a team towardsthe completion of atask.
- Communicates clearly and professionally with a wide rangeof stakeholders.
- Able to communicate information accurately and in a youth-friendlyway.
- Handles complicated situationsand stress.
- Diverse IT skills (for example Wordpress, Photoshop, HTML)
-Competent use of Basecamp
For more information, please send an email to: jobs(at)obessu.orgor call OBESSU secretariat: +32 (0) 2 893 24 14